Tuesday, February 12, 2013

lab 4

       My experience using the ArcGIS program was certainly a challenging one. I do not have very much computer experience so it was very difficult following the steps and making sure to complete each step correctly. I think that people with more computer experience can find the ArcMap program relatively easy to use.The tutorials were very helpful and if there were not any tutorials, I am sure I would have struggled even more. In the end, I appreciate how elegant the map turned out. It was certainly a challenging experience and hopefully with more practice, I can continue to enhance my computer/GIS skills.
    One of the benefits of this program is that you can easily see the details on a map.  It was fascinating to see all of the different information available by using the different features on ArcMap. Being able to view one specific detail and view all of the details in one view, is an effective way to collect information. Often times, the simplicity of maps can be overlooked. Using ArcMap showed me how important using charts and the attribute tables. Overall, a major benefit of this program is being able to complete multiple tasks on one program.
     Besides the potential benefits of GIS, there are also consequences. I think it is important to note that there is an immense amount of information that can be presented. This is difficult when trying to learn how to layer and present the data. It took awhile for me to get to used to the different toolbars, layout features, and other editing features. It was frustrating when I had to switch to zooming in and out, and trying to remember how to return to the original view because I was not comfortable with the system. Another pitfall, is that we constantly have to save our work because if we do not, we have to start all over again. Secondly, it is extremely time consuming to adapt the skills necessary to become comfortable using GIS. Additionally, since all of the data provided is established from the work of geographers, we have to rely on how accurate and how often their data is updated. In my opinion, the biggest downfall of the program is how challenging it is to use.
       In my opinion, the potential benefits of GIS outweigh the bad. This system allows people to discover relationships which in turn can be easily transmitted to the public. Although GIS is difficult to use and is sometimes hard to understand, it can be very effective in helping people understand the various aspects of society. Overall, this program allows for maps to be constructed and manipulated to present multiple dimensions of geographic data in an effective way. As this program becomes easier to use, we can further advance the way in which we present geographic information.
 
   

No comments:

Post a Comment